Thursday, October 13, 2016

Why do I need Good Paint Brushes?

Let me start by telling you that good paint brushes do not have to be expensive. Just about any paint brush can be a good paint brush for you, if you take care of it and clean it properly after every use. So yes anyone can afford good paint brushes. It is all about the care which I will follow up with more information on that at a later date.

So most of you are saying.

What brush do I start with?

Well there are; Flat Brushes, Round Brushes, Angle Brushes, Filbert Brushes, Bright Brushes, Detail Brushes, Fan Brushes and on and on. 

Now that you are completely confused, I started with one brush. A 5/8-inch flat. Why? I wanted to see what it could and couldn’t do. I found out there were a lot of different uses for this brush and used it for background applications all the way to applying blades of grass. I chose a stiffer brush to help with the spring back for making fine lines. The stiffer brush also helped to push the paint on to the canvas easier. I was able to make trees and flowers. Now please understand I was painting on a 16 X 20 canvas so a 5/8-inch brush can do a lot on a canvas that size.

One thing I found I could not do, were small circles! Hmmm? Guess it’s time to get me a round brush. I chose a detail round brush with stiff bristles. Why stiff? Because I was used to painting with a stiff brush. This brush opened up a whole new world of ideas for me. “ With tiny little details.”

My third brush ended up being a 1/8 inch flat again stiff. I was stuck on stiff bristles. This gave me the ability to make things smaller than its 5/8-inch counterpart.

I painted a long time with just those 3 brushes and created a lot of fun and interesting paintings that most people are amazed when I tell them I used just 1 or 2 brushes.

I guess the moral to this story is, it does not matter what brush you learn to paint with. Just paint with it and find out what it can help you create. Get to know your equipment and have fun! 
So you can see, that’s what good paint brushes can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment